Food science is a study concerned with all technical aspects of food, beginning with harvesting or slaughtering, and ending with its cooking and consumption. It is considered as one of the life sciences, and is usually considered distinct from the field of nutrition. Food science is a highly interdisciplinary applied science. It incorporates concepts from many different fields including microbiology, chemical engineering, biochemistry and many others. A food scientist studies the physical, microbiological, and chemical makeup of food. Food scientist's activities include the development of new food products, design of processes to produce these foods, choice of packaging materials, shelf-life studies and sensory evaluation of the product with trained expert panels or potential consumers, as well as microbiological and chemical testing. Through the coursework component of the program, students will gain in-depth knowledge of how agricultural produce is delivered as safe, nutritional and palatable food into domestic and international markets. Furthermore, they will understand current and future trends influencing the food manufacturing industry, including shifting legal and regulatory frameworks, international trade and the influence of modern biotechnological approaches in food production.
- To produce qualified food scientist for food industries, teaching and research organizations.
- To establish links between teaching/research institutions, government, commercial industrial organizations and consumers.
- To preserve, process and manipulate the agricultural produce for off seasons use.
- To introduce novel, nutrition's economical value added food products for local consumption and export.
- To incorporate the food industry waste for new product development.
- To develop subject interest among the students by mutual discussions, assignments, quiz, industrial tours, invited lectures and seminars etc apart from routine teaching.
- To provide consultancy and advisory services to food industries.
- To provide diagnostic analysis of food products.
- To organize seminars/workshops for creating awareness about the importance of safe processed nutritious food.
- To produce graduates who will be involved in consultancy services in food product development, research and development, processing and preservation. We plan to produce job creator graduates rather than job seekers.
- To equip graduates with knowledge of design and fabrication of food processing equipment.
The Degree holders may work in the areas of Food, Pharmaceutical and Cosmetic Industries; Ministries of Health, Education, Food & Agriculture and Science & Technology; Academic and Research Organizations; Airlines; Hotels and Hospitals etc
- Food Researchers and Scientists
- Food Chemist
- Food Analyst
- Production Manager
- Quality Control Manager
- Quality Assurance Officer
- Food Inspector