Faisalabad was once part of ancient district Jhang and Sandalbar, mainly consisting of thick forests and wild tribes. The city of Lyallpur came into being in 1880 with the city centre designed by Captain Poham Young, to imitate the Union Flag with eight roads radiating from a large clock tower (Ghanta Ghar) in the centre to eight separate bazaars.
In 1895, the rail link between Wazirabad and Lyallpur was completed. As the progress of colonization stepped up, Lyallpur was given the status of a Tehsil of Jhang District and its administration carried on in tents on the old Theh (Mound) of Pucca Mari near Tariqabad. In 1943, Muhammad Ali Jinnah came to Lyallpur and addressed a gathering of over 2 million in Dhobi Ghat ground.
The city grew into a strong industrial and agricultural center and on independence of Pakistan it was a amajor urban area. In 1977, the name of the city was changed to “Faisalabad”, after the late King Faisal of Saudi Arabia to commemorate deep friendship which exists between the two great Islamic countries of the world. In 1985, the city was upgraded as a division with the districts of Faisalabad, Jhang and Toba Tek Singh. Now Toba Tek Singh exists as a separate district of Punjab province.
Geography: Faisalabad is located in the northeast of Punjab. The city covers an area of approximately 830 square kilometers, comprises largely of flat or rolling plains. It has a population of around 5 million. It is also the third largest city of Pakistan.
Climate: The climate of Faisalabad district is of extreme nature, reaching 50 °C in summers, and -1 °C in winters. The soil of the district is very fertile. The average rainfall is about 200 mm.
Town City: Faisalabad is twinned with Manchester, United Kingdom.